Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 11, 2009

junk sales and dear friends

I've never taken part in a garage sale (although I do love perusing them). After this morning, however, I can no longer make that claim (the former, not the latter). At 7:30 am, I had Michael throw two boxes of... uh... treasures in my car, and I headed over to 1503 Washington to drop off our goods at a neighborhood garage sale. Granted, it wasn't my neighborhood; it was my friend Leah's neighborhood, though. Not her house, but apparently I have little shame.

See, I first found out about the sale yesterday, when Leah emailed a group of us, kindly informing us that her neighborhood was holding previously-mentioned garage sale. She told us that she knew some of us were the rummaging types, so we may well be interested. It seems as though Leah didn't know that some (or one, I guess) of us was also the Ooo-opportunity-to-unload-my-crap types, too. I immediately called Leah and (again, shamelessly) asked her if I could not only attend the sale but also participate. I'm so glad Leah's so darn nice. :) She vigorously agreed, and I set to sorting through my stuff.

This didn't take all that long because we recently had our basement carpeted, and during the clean-out process, I had filled two boxes of stuff that wasn't horribly awful but that we definitely didn't need filling up space in our house. I did have to price things which, I have to say, is hard-- especially for a novice garage saler. Honestly, though, I figured that I would take whatever people offered since I'm set on throwing the leftovers straight into the trash.

Since I'm writing this post now, at 11:41 in the morning, you may be able to guess that I didn't stay at the sale the entire time. Leah is, overall, a very trustworthy person. :) I think I can count on her not to stiff me. I did stay for almost two hours, and I was reminded, again, of how blessed I am to have dear friends. Leah, I believe, embodies joy and kindness. She and her husband Ben are one of a kind. Sadly, even though we live just minutes away, Leah and I don't see each other nearly as often as we should. (I plan to rectify this.) However, Leah's friendliness and grace make it so easy to connect and enjoy her company.

(Not so) secretly, I'm hoping there's a little Bowen on the way that will allow for many a playdate. :) No pressure, you two.

God is so gracious in what He gives us every day. Garage sales are great places to find treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment