Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gluten-free pizza!

I decided I wanted to try to make a pizza for lunch, but with Noelle and me on gluten-free diets, this becomes slightly more difficult.  I had some pre-cooked polenta, though, so I thought, Hmmm... cornmeal crust?  I browsed the internet and found enough inspiration to experiment.  Sure, it wasn't Lou Malnati's, but I'd still like to label it a success.  I liked it, and both the girls ate it up.  So, here you go!

1 tube pre-cooked polenta (I used a garlic and basil kind)
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp gluten-free flour (or regular flour if you don't have to be gf)
A jar of pizza sauce
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Whatever toppings you like


This is quick and easy.  Ready?  Pre-heat the oven to 450.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or use a pizza stone, if you have it).  Slice the polenta and throw it into a food processor with the water, corn starch and flour.  Get it well mixed.  Flatten the mixture out on the cookie sheet; I'm guessing my crust was about 1/4-inch thick.  Put it in the oven for 15 minutes.  Pull out the crust, spread the sauce on it, add toppings and cheese.  Put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes.  (I actually was going to have it in there for 25, but my cheese was getting pretty browned.)  Let sit for 5 minutes.  Slice and serve. 

Because it's polenta, the crust doesn't get super crispy, but it's also not disgustingly mushy.  I give it a big gluten-free two thumbs up! 

P.S. I just grabbed a cold sliver of our leftovers, and it's pretty darn good that way, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment