Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 10, 2011

Steve, Culinary Master

We went to a get-together with a bunch of awesome friends, and everyone brought sides while the hosts provided the meat.  My brother-in-law, Steve, let me tell ya, is a whiz in the kitchen.  I was going to embarrass him by talking about how he's single and a total catch (you know-- smart, funny, handsome, generous, kind, a FANTASTIC uncle, athletic, etc), but then I decided that he'd probably prefer that I didn't do that.  So I'll keep my comments to the side he brought: a fresh corn salad.  It's an Ina Garten recipe, and if you know Ina, you know that she always provides you with winners.  I'm making it tonight for a girls' night with the old roommates, and I thought it only appropriate to post it here.  So here you go!  It's super simple and amazingly delicious.

Ina's Fresh Corn Salad

And since we're doing recipes, here's something I made the other day which was a big ol' success and took me roughly 10 minutes, total!  I may be in love with my crockpot.

Shredded BBQ Chicken

6 frozen chicken breasts
12-oz bottle of barbecue sauce
1/2 cup Italian dressing
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Throw chicken in the crockpot.  Mix other ingredients and dump them over the chicken.  Cook on low 6-8 hours, low 3-4 hours.  When done cooking, shred chicken.  Serve on sandwiches or over rice.

I actually only had 3 chicken breasts, so I halved the sauce but still cooked it on low for a little over 6 hours, and it was still a success!  We had it as sandwiches with sweet potato fries.  Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I have to defer that compliment to Dana P, who turned me on to this corn salad.
    Are there guidelines regarding a safe amount of corn to consume in one 24hr period? I always make too much, and it's addictive.

    ReplyDelete