Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How I Became a Library Champion

It's true that I have a few quirks.  But I think it's also true that Mike would tell you that these quirks are simply delightful.  At least he would if he knew what was good for him.  With that said, one of my not-so-endearing quirks would be the fact that I have been, for most of my life, been... uh... afraid of libraries.  Well, fear is a little too strong.  It's not like a go into convulsions and get tightening in the chest or anything.  It's that the books are just so gross.  I do have a tendency toward OCD, and nowhere does that become more apparent to me than in the library.  The feel of library book pages are almost enough to make me gag.  My skin's crawling, just thinking about it.  Does anyone else feel this way?  I think it's that I have no idea how many people with questionable hygiene, and perhaps one or two communicable diseases, have handled the book.  So I steer clear.

But I realized two things rather recently.  First, the girls LOVE going on outings to the library.  They like pulling new books out to read, playing with the puzzles, bouncing on the oversized stuffed book, and checking out DVDs and music.  And for me, it's a really easy time.  The big room at the WPL is open enough to allow the girls some freedom, but contained enough to easily monitor them.  Second, now that we don't have cable or even basic channels, the library is a super-cheap option for TV shows and movies.  Mike and I are currently working our way through "Alias", and I occasionally pick up a season of 30 Rock or something like that.

So now, I can proudly say that the Green girls are regular frequenters of the Wheaton Public Library.  We've rented tons of DVDs, music to keep Mommy from going insane with the same Veggietales CD going on repeat, and we have even checked out children's books... TWICE!

I have yet to check out a book for myself, though.  Yuck.

UPDATE: I went to the library last night to get our next disk of "Alias", and I picked up a book!  Literally, that's all I did-- picked it up and read the back-- but this is pretty big for me.  Big pat on the back for Heather.

No comments:

Post a Comment