Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer Soup

All of a sudden... and I truly mean ALL OF A SUDDEN... yesterday, I was struck by the "nesting" instinct.  Thus, I started planning how to redecorate my entire house, and I began browsing for great summer recipes.  I'm still in the decorating brainstorming stage, so I'll spare you that.  But here's a recipe that I just made ahead for dinner.  Mmmmm!  I found it on Epicurious (to make sure I give credit-- it's apparently from Lourdes Castro), and I've made a few changes.  Here's my hybrid recipe, as I made it.  I have to say, though, that this ended up yielding only about 2 servings, so I would FOR SURE double or triple it if you're going to strain the soup.  If not straining, I'm thinking you should still double it.

Yummy Summer Corn Soup with Roasted Corn Gaucamole

For the soup:
5 ears fresh corn
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 clove minced or chopped garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Cup chicken broth

1.  Cut the corn off the cob.  Put kernels in a blender (but wait to blend).
2.  Put the oil and garlic in a soup pot over medium heat.  Add the onion (and if you like heat, the original recipe called for 1 chopped jalapeno).  Saute until translucent.  Add oil, garlic and onion to blender.  Blend until smooth(-ish).  You'll probably have to pulse it.
3.  Put blended mixture back in the pot.  Heat on medium, stirring for the first few minutes.
4.  Gradually add chicken broth, mixing together.
5.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
6.  I strained the soup because the texture was a little strange, though still fine if you don't want to deal with straining.

You can make the soup ahead, cool it, fridge it and reheat it later.

When you're ready to serve, make the roasted corn guacamole.  I haven't made this yet, but it promises to be awesome. 

for the guac:
Kernels from 3 ears of corn
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 avocado, chopped

1.  Preheat the oven to 450.  Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.  Toss the kernels with the oil, salt and pepper.  Spread evenly on baking sheet.  Roast for 20 minutes, until the corn turns golden brown (but some black is fine, too).
2.  Combine the corn with the other ingredients.  Place in the center of each bowl of soup!

I think, for simplicity's sake, we're going to do this with grilled cheese tonight.  I'll report back on the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment