Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Here's to New Addictions

Earlier on in this pregnancy, Little Man was giving me some serious problems.  Among them, migraines.  I ended up going on a narcotic for the really bad ones, but Doc also recommended caffeine.  The only problem with that is that the kind of coffee I drink has about 8 ingredients, is blended and costs around $4 a pop.  In other words, my Starbucks addiction is not very economical, even with a gold card.

But a few days ago, Michael sent me a link to squawkfox.com that had a recipe for a homemade frap.  Yesterday, I made my first attempt, and today, as I type this, I have my second frap, which squawkfox estimates comes in at a not-so-hefty $.32!  And I am totally content.  I really can't tell the difference.  So here's the recipe.  I halved it, threw everything in my Magic Bullet, and voila! 

1 cup double-strength coffee or 3/4 cup espresso, cold
3/4 cup milk, whatever kind you want
3 Tbsp sugar (or to taste)
2 cups ice
pinch xanthan gum

I guess the "trick" is the xanthan gum, which keeps it from separating.  I actually had this on hand because it's a staple in gluten-free baking, but it's not super-cheap.  I'm thinking you'll survive without it.  However, if you DO use it, here's a very important tip: DO NOT USE MORE THAN A PINCH!  I put in-- I don't know-- 1/8-1/4 of a tsp-- the first time, and the drink turned to goop.  Xanthan gum is a thickener.  When I dumped out my texturely inadequate first attempt, it just thwapped into the sink and stayed there.  Gross. 

But my second and third attempts... caffeinated heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment