Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bit By the Bug

Okay... the sewing bug is back.  I just can't help myself.  I found this tutorial and thought, "Hey, that'll be fun and easy!"  I tend to go too-big on things like this, mostly because I can't bear the disappointment when it's too small to fit.  Even though I guess I was making this for Riley, so if I did underestimate, it could have just ended up as Noelle's... 

Anyway, since Mike now has a bunch of shirts that are way too big for him, I brought three to Riley and let her choose her favorite.  The blue one was the winner (just like it would've been for Dad!), and she immediately asked to wear it.  I was forced to inform her that I had to make it fit her first, but it did give incentive for me NOT to just leave it sitting for weeks... months... a year?  So here's Riley's Just Like Daddy Romper:




Clearly, a little big, but hey-- she can wear it for, like, three more years! :)  And she LOVED it!  When I took it off for her bath, she made me guarantee we'd put it on again.  When I removed it at bedtime, she asked if she could wear it tomorrow.  I call that a success.

Then I wanted to whip up something for Noelle.  Now, in general, I HATE sewing with knits.  I don't know if I've ever NOT had a project fail when I was using knits.  But finally, I found a pattern (that I've used for a while) that I can use with knits.  It turns out nicely, and I'm not tempted to throw myself out a window, mid-stitch.

The only reason I was actually tempted to use knits again was that I came across some adorable Patty Young fabric that I have had for quite some time.  It was just sitting there, biding its time.  And since my nesting is currently taking the form of sewing, I figured now's the time.  Now showing... the knit peasant dress/top!



The peasant top is so nice because, first of all, it's really easy to make.  (Seriously... if you want to take up sewing for kids, go for a peasant top!)  And second, it can fit for quite some time.  This one, obviously, is on Noelle, but it will easily fit Riley as a top, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment