Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Gettin' Close...

This morning was very eventful.  I had a doctor's appointment at Maternal Fetal Medicine, a place I became very acquainted with when I was pregnant with Noelle.  Little Guy wants me to stay on good terms with the seriously wonderful people there because here's how this morning played out.

I had a 9:30 appointment.  I went in and got to watch some Regis and Kelly (ummm... yay?) in the waiting room.  At least they had a segment on "Halloween animals."  I liked the lemur and the owl.  Scorpions?  Gross.  I eventually went in for my ultrasound where they were checking the baby's measurements and the fluid levels.  Remember, I was at 8.2 last Wednesday.

Little Man is looking great.  He was weighing in at exactly 7 pounds, in the 70th percentile.  And his tummy size (which, apparently, is the important measurement) was good.  Then we went to the fluids.  Like I said, I've had a LOT of practice at having these ultrasounds, and I've learned-- well enough-- what to look for.  She went through the first two quadrants, and I thought, Hey, not bad. I added in my head, and we were already up to a little over 6 cm.  Then she went to the other side of my belly.  After searching around for quite some time, she asked, "So, had they said that your fluids were looking a little low?"  I filled her in, and she said, "Yep.  Looks like I can't find any over here, so you're at around 6.2."

Immediately, I started playing out who I was going to call and how we were going to play out the Mom's-going-to-Labor-and-Delivery thing.  Janet went out to talk to Dr. Ianucci, to see his thoughts.  He had her do a test where she watches for the baby to practice breathing.  Basically, we just got to sit and watch his little tummy and chest, waiting for him to suck in and spit out the amniotic fluid.  I'd never had this done, so it was a kind of a fun first-time thing. :)  Mini Man cooperated almost immediately, which was nice.

I then went in to talk to Dr. Ianucci.  He looked at the chart, confirmed that everything looks great, except for that darn fluid.  He also said there was research out that stated that as long as the fluids didn't get below 5, the baby should be good.  But because there had been those declines last Wednesday, and the fluids were lower, he wanted me to get hooked up to another NST.

Margie the nurse set me up and gave me some apple juice.  Then I got to flip through the channels on my little personal TV and see if there was anything worth watching.  Who knew morning television was so awful?  I found Stacy and Clinton but mostly just played on my phone, texting and looking at the internet.

After another long session on that machine, everything looked good.  No declines this time, good accelerations, good movement.

So they sent me on my merry way.  Now I just have to have twice-weekly NSTs and weekly fluid checks.  Goodness gracious.

No comments:

Post a Comment