Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

DQ Disaster



Riley is potty-trained, which is pretty awesome. We now get to use half the wipes, buy half the diapers and wipe half the poop... just in time for another little one to come along and bring it all back. However, when she was only semi-potty-trained, we had probably the most memorable and hilarious playdates we've ever had.

The cast of characters included Becky and the girls' dear friend, Gracie.

We headed over the Becky's place, and since the weather was actually nice (rare, being that winter lasts for 10 months here. I'm not bitter), Becky suggested that we take the 20-minute stroll to Dairy Queen. Sounded like a plan to me, and after trying, without success, to convince Riley to go potty, we set off. All was going well.

After a pleasant walk to DQ, we ordered blizzards, upon which Riley promptly informed me that she had to go pee-pees. The girl at DQ told us that a restaurant down the way would let us use their restroom, so Noelle stayed with B and G, and Riley and I walked a few doors down.

The restaurant was closed-- perhaps never to open again?-- so I asked Riley if she thought she could hold it till we got back to Gracie's house. I'm pretty sure she had no idea what I was asking, but she really does try to please, so she told me she could. I was a little anxious about the whole situation, but what was I going to do?

We went back to DQ, and two steps from the entrance, Riley tripped, scraping her knee a little. So I walked into the place with a screaming 3-year-old who hadn't been allowed to pee. Fortunately, M&M blizzards heal most, if not all, wounds.

We took our blizzards and sat at the bench outside DQ. Naturally, we got our share of blizzard on our clothes (a prospect which is always a little disconcerting to my slightly-OCD 3-year-old). I leaned over to Becky and laughed, "She's going to leave this place with a scraped knee, covered in ice cream and drenched with pee."

Not three minutes later, Riley let out a cry and a shower of pee went down through the bench slats. Perhaps this wasn't the correct response, but what's a mom to do but choke down as much of the laughter as she can while she comforts her kid? I think Riley was a little too distraught to notice my giggles anyway.

I wiped her off as best I could with napkins, and we beat a quick retreat, Becky informing me that she was pretty sure the DQ workers had witnessed everything. (Dear DQ people, sorry! I didn't mean to laugh that hard.)

Riley recovered quite well and rode on the back of the stroller till we got back to Becky's. Then she got to be thrown into Gracie's tub with Gracie's toys, get a quick rinse-off, and get to wear nothing but underwear home.

See, happy ending! :)

Becky and Gracie, thank you for such an entertaining playdate. We wouldn't have wanted to share it with anyone other than you!

No comments:

Post a Comment