Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Professor's Advice

I remember in college, Dr. Wayne Martindale, during my Freshman Experience course, was speaking to us on (of course) C.S. Lewis. I forget exactly what essay we had just read or what, specifically, we were discussing, but I do remember what he said, more or less.

He talked about how we often are so caught up in looking ahead. Be aware, he told us, of how often you say simple things like, "I can't wait for Friday" or "If it were only the weekend. If we constantly have the I-can't-wait attitude, we risk missing out on the gifts God has placed right in front of us, right at that moment.

I've been looking forward to AND dreading our upcoming flights to CA and HI, and on my walk this morning, I realized how unnecessary that is. I've felt overwhelmed by the few hours I'm working this week and the preparations I have to do for our trip, but I've mostly been anticipating the flights. However, as Riley, Kona and I strolled through the neighborhood, I looked around and realized what a lovely day it was. And I was thrilled and tickled when another lab came trotting out to play with Kona, his shirtless owner trailing behind, apologizing profusely. Turns out Heinrich's owner not only works in the athletic department at Wheaton College but also attends Westmont and knows my little brother. Ha! So, Lord, thank you for little reminders of the things that are here, right now, to give us joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment